Thursday 23 October 2014

The Lockhart, Marylebone

Posted on 

We went to a novel event a book/ supperclub at The Lockhart, a Southern American US cuisine restaurant in Marylebone. It was organised by Molly one of the owners of the Lockhart, so the book, also set in the deep South of America fitted in well with the food. I love to read and eat good food so this event sounded right up my street! As I won tickets at the last minute I didn’t get a chance to read the book, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, so I couldn’t contribute to the lively discussion it provoked but I could eat and boy did I do a lot of that!
We kicked things off with gumbo and shrimp and grits accompanied by super strength mint juleps. If you want to feel like you’re on a porch in a sultry American summer, I recommend downing a couple of these! Brad McDonald (chef) sources his grits from America as he couldn’t find ones that measured up to his exacting standards over here. I wasn’t as sure about the grits, having not grown up with them to me they tasted a bit like savoury porridge, but the gumbo was lovely full of sausage and delicious things. We then moved on to fried chicken and honey butter cornbread. I have seen a lot of Instagrammed photos of the cornbread and all I will say is that it lived up to the hype! The butter caramelizes around the edges creating a lovely honeyed warmth. The fried chicken was also good, crunchy outside giving way to a succulent interior. But a note of caution, don’t fill up on the cornbread because you’re going to want to save some space for what comes next which is… lemon icebox pie. Like a lemon meringue pie but better!
The book club is going to move around restaurants so it can better reflect the books it covers. Keep an eye on Molly’s twitter feed so you can watch out for the next one. Thank you Canongate books and The Lockhart!
THE LOCKHART
22-24 SEYMOUR PLACE
LONDON
W1H 7NL

No comments:

Post a Comment